Constipation is a common problem
Constipation is a fairly common problem in children. Up to 30% of children has infrequent bowel movements or hard,dry stools. Thankfully, most cases of constipation in children are temporary.
Here are some tips to overcome constipation
High-fiber diet & plenty of fluids
– Load your child’s plate with plenty of fruits and vegetables, high-fiber cereals, whole grain bread, variety of beans and legumes e.g chickpeas and lentils
Regular toilet time with proper toilet positions
– Encourage your child to use the toilet first thing in the morning or 30 minutes after main meals
– Good bacteria such as Lactobacillus acidophilus and Bifidobacterium lactis has been well known to ease constipation
– With the approval of your pediatrician of course! Common mistakes made are using too small volume and stopping it prematurely. Usually, your child will need it for at least a few weeks.
– Make sure kids get enough exercise as exercise stimulates the bowels into action. It can be as simple as cycling or kicking a ball.
Overcoming emotional issues
– Some children might find public toilets icky. Having a toilet shield will be helpful.
– Sometimes constipation can be a manifestation of anxiety or stress and has to be explored.
The most important ingredient though is PATIENCE. ?
Related article: https://drjoannchildspecialist.com/tips-to-handle-picky-eater-in-children/
For other articles, kindly visit: https://drjoannchildspecialist.com/latest-articles/
INTERESTED IN PARENTING ARTICLES?
We have the right articles just for you.
“There is no such thing as a perfect parent. So just be a real one.” – Sue Atkins